Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cancer-Combatting Foods

We've always been told to eat healthy because it'll keep us healthy and disease-free. As kids, I always thought that this was just my mom's way of tricking me into eating vegetables, which I really hated back then.

But as it turns out, it's all true. I've recently read that there are certain foods that actually help lower one's risk of cancer. Which foods are these? Here are some examples:

  1. Brussel sprouts. I used to hate eating these. But as it turns out, brussel sprouts are rich in indole, a compound that triggers hormone breakdown in the liver. This is actually great in preventing hormone-dependent cancers from starting.
  2. Spinach. Yet another of my least favorite veggies as a child. But this leafy vegetable is regarded as the healthiest of all. Rich in powerful antioxidants, spinach has been observed to combat liver, ovarian, colon, and prostate cancer.
  3. Berries. I'm not a big fan of sour fruits, but berries are said to be rich in anthocyanins. These A-grade antioxidants have been studied to impede cancer cell growth without affecting the growth of normal cells.
Now who would've thought my least favorite foods were good for fighting cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment