Monday, April 26, 2010

Working Around Your Lactose Intolerance

As much as I love dairy products, there's only a certain level that I can take because I have, to an extent, lactose intolerance. I'm just lucky that I can take more than enough to give me my fix of dairy everyday.

For those like me who can tolerate lactose to a certain degree, learning to moderate one's dairy consumption can help create a compromise between your love of lactose-based products and your inability to digest them fully.

First up, determine just how much dairy you can take. This way, the next time cheese is on the menu, you'll know just how much your body can take and stop when you reach that point.

I've learned that I can take more milk or cheese when it's mixed with something else. I drink milk with a little chocolate and take my cheese mixed into my salad.

I've also learned not to take my dairy without anything prior to it. I found that my stomach revolts to the lactose faster when I eat cheese on an empty stomach.

Again, it would be best to consult your doctor to understand more about your lactose intolerance and ask for workarounds to your condition.

Written By: Abbey Grace Yap

No comments:

Post a Comment